Teaching with primary documents encourages a varied learning environment for teachers and students alike. Lectures, demonstrations, analysis of documents, independent research, and group work become a gateway for research with historical records in ways that sharpen students’ skills and enthusiasm for history, social studies, and the humanities.
The following document analysis worksheets were designed and developed by the Education Staff of the National Archives and Records Administration. You may find these worksheets useful as you introduce students to various documents. Thousands of documents are available throughout sections of the National Archives website, including: Teaching With Documents, Online Exhibits, and the ARC Online Catalog.
- Written Document (PDF) (HTML version)
- Photograph (PDF) (HTML version)
- Cartoon (PDF) (HTML version)
- Poster (PDF) (HTML version)
- Map (PDF) (HTML version)
- Artifact (PDF) (HTML version)
- Motion Picture (PDF) (HTML version)
- Sound Recording (PDF) (HTML version)